Sunday 11 August 2013

Leaving Zermatt

Back in the day, I was one of those kids whose hearts completely broke when their teacher told them clouds were actually composed of gaseous water particles. Don't even dream about being able to sit on them. Cumulus clouds are not the same as floating cotton balls.

Well these past two days we've been at the clouds. I climbed my tallest mountain ever, Mt Schwarzsee, 2588m above sea level! What's on top of a mountain? In our case, you couldn't see much at all. Just cold, white misty cloud everywhere. A dark lake, who knows how deep. Why do people wish for wings to reach the heavens when we've already been given legs? It really is the most exhilarating feeling ever, and I feel like it's an achievement that I deserve some kind of sticker for, more than those primary school ones I got for "being the good girl" or whatever in class (not that I got many of those either)...The gradients were some of the steepest ever; the loose rocks challenging. My legs are more muscular. I laugh when I think about what I used to call my "Basser step calves". I've lost a lot of weight as well, which is really no good. Ribs sticking out in photos. Backpack harness doesn't fit snugly around my waist anymore, with at least three fingers of room. 

That's what happens when you're in Switzerland paying $75AUD per freaking night and don't have enough to budget for food! Ugh I'm so angry that I didn't have enough motivation to help book these hotels. I've been eating two meals a day - the included buffet breakfast, and my lunchy dinner... The latter is usually composed of: 1) a small portion of my 400g of the cheapest Swiss chocolate (my luxury item); 2) a piece of fruit; and 3) a thickly-sliced cold-cut sandwich of salami or bacon, Swiss cheese, and tomato that I make myself during breakfast, and sneakily put in my daypack as provisions for later, under the disapproving eyes of Anna. I like to think of it as an "extended breakfast" and therefore maintain that it's completely ethical.



I've told Anna she's making me a really bad backpacker and I was doing so well being one until she came along. We've even done a post-hike hot tub night, which is such a backpacker no-no, but I needed to make it feel like the $75/night needed to be worth it. Besides, when you're hiking with our kind of equipment (or lack thereof) and my crappy shoes, you're bound to succumb. I think my Vans shoes are actually rly rly intimidating to others to be honest. I really think all the hikers look at me and think: "Like omg she's so pro she doesn't even need hiking poles. She can obviously afford them but she's chosen to leave them at home out of her own free will. She probably gave it to some needy comrade." With my shoes they're thinking: "Wow she can actually hike in those - like who needs these $200 high-tech, perfectly-moulded-for-your-feet ones I have..." Really - that's actually what they're thinking.

Yesterday on our fourth day, Anna had had enough of hiking and decided she wanted to cable-car it up to Gornergrat, which is a beautiful snowy mountain which gives great views of the famous Matterhorn mountain. Problem was that it was about $96 AUD return! Helllll no. Instead I found a good hiking trail to Riffelalp which would also get you a pretty sweet view of the Matterhorn, but for free. Why not? I had all day, the weather was absolutely beautiful. The views were amazing all the way through the hike and peaked (excuse the pun) right at the top. I'd always wanted to hike by myself, and I did pretty well! I stayed up there a fair bit till it got cold and the conversation I was eavesdropping on between initial strangers, a Japanese guy and a Swiss guy, came to an end. The second guy currently lives in Geneva. He comes out here every weekend to ski. He's Protestant but he got married in the Catholic chapel he pointed out yonder because he's "accepting of the faith".


My view of the Matterhorn, from Riffelalp

On my bucket list is to one day mountain bike it up and down. It's something I have neither the skill nor the guts to do at the moment, but I've come across a lot of brave mortals doing it out here and it looks like a lot of fun. Finished the day with a trip to the graveyard. It was the most beautiful graveyard I'd ever seen, and was supposed to be a tribute to some awesome mountaineers that died doing their thing (did you read that as "thaaang"?). Every single grave had vibrantly coloured flowers with some elaborately accessorised with pretty windmills and the like. I was slightly disappointed because I'd semi-expected some tragic/inspiring stories to be written on their gravestones but there was nothing of the sort. It was stupid of me to romanticise their life stories through my imaginative expectations anyway. Death is always tragic yes, but inevitable, so nevertheless I think it's kind of beautiful that they died doing something they love. 

I'm so glad that we've been here to experience the varying weather conditions -sunny, cloudy, rainy... All were wonderful and you could really appreciate the Swiss Alps from all the weather conditions that nature felt like decorating it with that day. Now on the train to my next great adventure: Italy! Don't know where Anna is. Seat next to me is empty because we're moody bitches. Thinking I'm in the wrong carriage too… Looks too comfortable. Why is there a reading light above me? I think I'm in first-class and the transit officer will murder me with Italian hand gestures. I've got a game plan though. When in doubt, say "que".

No comments:

Post a Comment