Wednesday 18 September 2013

(Christina) When I grow up I want to become a pebble

Here is a lovely little quote I once heard from a wise chinese man who lived in a cave at the top of a mountain.

‘When life gives you lemons
use them to build a fort around the opening of your cave
so that people don’t come in and bother you with their company
when you are trying to be wise.’

Okay little chinese man. I did make that one up, sorry to pull words out of your mouth and then make fun of them.

But all in all, half of the world needs to stop their living and start up their brains, to lead their life in the right direction.
The other half needs to get up from their cave and start learning through experience instead of controlling with seeked out knowledge.
What is the point in having knowledge if you don’t even apply it to helping others.

Asians are great. The ones where I live are quite quiet and come mostly directly from Hong Kong, so they arent westernised.
They often need a little distraction from study. I feel the need to help out here, by dropping a joke when I pass them, or dropping a noodle bomb when I pass them.
But the best thing about them is that they are incredibly ordered in their minds.
They are dominated by their thoughts rather than emotions.
This means less procrastination, efficient organising, neat rooms, neat sentences.


The caucasians have too many factors juggling in their heads. So many emotions ruling over thoughts.
Plus they all exaggerate their responses to teasing to fit in with a joking atmosphere whereas the asians throw a legitamite WTF face which is 24 carat gold.
Of course this is all generalisation and there are many exceptions to both stereotypes.

Oh, and I hate quotes. 
Look at this one.

Unfortunately a very intelligent man wrote this, so me poking fun at it will make me look either arrogant or shallow, or both. I can't help myself though.
Believe in yourself. You can change the world. The entire world. All you have to do is be crazy, and think you can. So go ahead, be a prime minister! 
...Or you can change the world in an even more influential way. Get all the people on the globe at the same time to run towards the east. That way, they oppose the turn of the world and slow down the rotation of the earth, lengthening all of our lives.
It is an incredible alternative to the laborious process of finding cures for disease, and even lessens heart problems by increasing fitness levels.
Yes, you go for it! Change the world!

Imagine if all of us tried changing the world. We would all be pulling and tugging it and trying to get eachother to look at us, and then who would empty the school bins? I find more commendation for the janitors of the world who are strong enough to prefer to go unnoticed, and influence people around them in unspoken ways.
Not to say that there isnt room for leaders, and shining people, because if all the good people were quiet then the world would be lead by mere ambition.
Just that the search for power is dangerous, even when it is done in the best of intentions. How many people can deflect the attention invariably showered on them, and pull their head away from the mirrors that everyone is shoving in their faces?

Pride is a sneaky slice of cheese. It wedges in, at first disguised by goodness.
It rarely attacks head on, because as soon as it is recognised, a person’s conscience tries to battle it.
An example is my trip to the Philippines for volunteer work in the slums. So many times I would have a sentiment come over me. It was a sentiment of apparent goodness. I would feel this sparkly emotion, one that told me I was a particularly good person for doing this good deed.
When in actual fact, all my acts were shining; they were visible. It sounds good, doesn’t it, to ‘volunteer in a poor country’. But the thing is, I don't lose out on a whole lot to give to the kids in the slums at the level I did it at.
So I was gaining a sparkly feeling, a hidden pride, when I was actually giving very very little, and what I ‘gave’ was all shining and categorically noble.
And yet how can you give if you havent consequently lost? It all sounds harsh, what I am saying. And i know no act can be done in perfect love and humility.
Its just that we have to be careful with how we 'love'. True love is a sacrifice. It is great to volunteer. It is great to be a nice person. But all these things are lit up, so you often gain more than you give, the whole time thinking you have done your bit in terms of being a good person.
This can relate to everyday happenings. Most of us give when it can be seen. Or when it is waved in front of our face so that it would be rude not to. 
It is safe to stay in this 'giving' zone. No pressure, no worries. A 'nice person'.
But I have seen now that true giving lies in the janitor way of things. Love works in the dark, since pride so easily takes hold. And it perseveres through no recognition.
We need to deflect the attention away from our actions so that neither we nor the receiver thinks about it too much. If we ponder on it, we give ourselves airs.
God is the only one to record it.
I fail so heavily in this regard. I know what I have to do, but I, like everyone else, am human and fall time and again, only to then get up time and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment